Sunday 26 January 2014

Review: Custom Radiator Guard

I once encountered a rider who had to replace his motorcycle radiator because a rock busted through it. Such mishaps are actually not uncommon. Would you rather replace a radiator which can cost SGD$400 or would you rather spend less than a quarter of that to get some protection for your radiator? The answer is obvious.

For those of you in Singapore, you are in luck because we have a local talent who specializes in custom radiator guards for motorcycles. And that talent is Kel, founder of Godsendworx. They have been in business for 7 years! I approached them to custom-make a radiator guard for the R6, and their service was so excellent I promised to write a review for them.

So, let me cut to the chase.

Customization & Ordering
Ordering a custom radiator guard from Godsendworx is very simple. Just visit the Godsendworx Facebook Page, and follow the instructions. I got a reply within 24 hours, where I was given a few designs to choose from. You can request for your own design, but I opted for a simple black with white Yamaha logo.

Radiator Guard
Within a week, my radiator guard was ready, and I was offered a few installation time-slots. I arrived at the meeting point early, and Kel was already there serving 2 other riders. Business must be good. It was also thoughtful of Kel to provide me with a bottle of water while I waited for my turn.

When my turn came, Kel installed the radiator guard onto my R6 with much professional zest. Within 15 minutes, it was done.

The gaps of the radiator guard are big enough for wind to flow to your radiator, and should not cause any overheating problems. The R6 heats up to over 100 degrees Celsius in stop-go traffic in tropical Singapore, and I have had no problems.







Quality
The radiator guard is a little flexible, and therefore can be bent to fit the shape of my radiator. The paintwork on it is amazing, Kel told me that they use 6 layers of laquer on it! Cleaning the radiator guard is as easy as cleaning your motorcycle. Just wash it like you would wash any of your motorcycle bodywork.

Price
The quotation varies from different bike makes to the complexity of the design. They might give you a discount if you tell them that you found them after reading this review. No promises though! All I can say is I paid well under SGD$100 for mine.

Conclusion
This is a very small investment for a peace of mind. Functionally, it does its job well. Cosmetically, well it just looks amazing. Stop procrastinating and get your radiator protected today!

RB Rating: 8 / 10

Ride safe.

No comments :